Reddit needs no introduction and is one of the primary social media platforms. Similar to other apps Reddit is not immune to flaws or issues. Sometimes users encounter an unwelcome window when opening Reddit links; which can be frustrating. Performance issues and a lack of optimization and customization features have led users to open Reddit links in third-party apps.
This article provides extensive support to social media users experiencing issues in opening Reddit links. Don’t worry; let’s explore the 3rd party convenience to overcome Reddit’s official app’s issues and hazards associated with third-party apps.
What Are the Reddit Third-Party Issues With Reddit?
The issues arise when Reddit has exponentially increased its API charges. This rise has made third-party app developers apprehensive, as API charges are beyond their affordability. This tussle has led to widespread outrage; however, there are still a few Reddit apps for iPhone and Android devices that can coordinate regardless of the current fiasco. Linking on Reddit using a third-party tool is a breeze for most users, and they are eager to restore the convenience soon.
Why Do People Go for Third-Party Reddit Apps?
Linking to Reddit using 3rd party apps is preferred for various reasons. Let’s explore the perks of using third-party Reddit applications:
- Brilliant personalization with content and themes
- Ease of avoiding images with a simple swipe-up
- Diverse customization options for layout
- Enhanced user-friendly interface
- The facility of availing offline mode to download content
- Support for multiple accounts
- Timely notifications to inform about the current scenario
- Offers advanced features to filter and sort the content
- Empowers users with gesture-based controls
- Offers exciting features like content preloading for quick browsing
- Providing means to utilize the integrated media viewer is super exciting
- Moderation tools for subreddit moderators
- A super cool feature of using the “dark mode” to save battery and eyes
- Offers content synchronization across devices to hook more users
- Provides the convenience of ad-blocking features to enjoy an ad-free experience
How to Link on Reddit?
Here is how to hyperlink on Reddit official app on Android and iPhone:
Link Reddit on Android:
- Open Reddit on Android
- Tap the pencil button
- This will let you pick the link
- Expand the community list on Reddit
- Select the location where you want to post on the platform
- Provide a brief description of the link on Reddit
- Paste that link in the Reddit post
- Hit the Post button
Link Reddit for iOS:
Here is how to hyperlink Reddit on iOS devices:
- Open Reddit on your iPhone or iPad
- Tap the pencil button on the Reddit page
- Pick the link
- Maximize the community list on Reddit
- Select the location where you want to post the link
- Enter the title of the link on Reddit
- Paste the link in the Reddit post
- Hit the post button
How to Open Links in Third-Party Reddit Apps on Android Devices?
If you are an Android user and prefer using a third-party app to open Reddit links for added features and personalization. We have compiled a list of reliable and snappy 3rd-party apps for your Android device in this article.
Here is how you can use these secondary applications to access Reddit:
- Access the Google Play Store
- Find your preferred third-party app
- Once found, download it on your Android
- Once installed, find the app on your home screen
- Long-press on the third-party Reddit app icon on your home screen
- This will display the app info
- Tap on it
- Select the ‘Open by Default’ option
- Toggle on ‘Open Supported Links’
- Select all the links
- This process will allow Redditors to open Reddit links by default in the third-party Reddit app on your Android device
This one-time process will enable users to open a Reddit link in the third-party app. Now, let’s proceed to learn the Reddit link-opening process in third-party apps on the iPhone.
How to Open Reddit Links in Third-Party Apps on Your iPhone?
iPhone users often use highly customized external links that redirect them to the Reddit page to join the trend. Utilizing a third-party app like Apollo offers a convenient way to experience brilliant customization. What you need to do is simply open Reddit links in Apollo, which is a breeze. However, Apollo is currently facing a rough patch; hopefully, everything will get back to normal soon because it is one of the best choices for Redditors.
Follow the instructions to open Reddit links in the third-party app:
- Launch your preferred browser, such as Safari, on your iPhone
- Open the Reddit link in Safari
- Locate and tap the share button
- Scroll up to maximize the Reddit page
- This will reveal more sharing and posting options
- At this stage, you will find an option to open the link in the third-party Reddit app
- Tap on this option
- This step will open your Reddit link in the third-party Reddit app
- Now, the Reddit page will be opened in the third-party Reddit app
The Current Scenario: 3rd Party Apps Reddit Shutdown Following API Changes
Now, let us provide you with the entire situation regarding a dispute between Reddit communities and third-party app developers. The Reddit official app has imposed incremental API charges on the apps that serve as the preferred clients for Android and iPhone users. This price hike has been met with disagreement by big names like Sync and Apollo and has been shut down by the community-driven platform. However, a few third-party apps continue to function amid this chaotic situation, such as RedReader, Dystopia, Boost for Reddit, and several others.
For Android and iPhone users, there are viable options that are mentioned below, still functioning despite the exorbitant pricing. But for most third-party Reddit apps situation is dark and uncertain. Subsequently, they are exploring alternative options such as “Lemmy”, an open-source virtual meet-up and discussion platform similar to Reddit.
According to Reddit’s officials:
“Accessibility-focused apps will remain unaffected by the recent API changes”
Reddit is Making Unpopular Changes
Reddit has been notoriously famous for making unpopular changes for some time. For instance,
- Rolling out unpopular features and eyebrow-raising decisions similar to its rival “X”
- Launching the pixelated Reddit app icon for iOS, and if you want to change it, you need to pay for it to soothe your eyes
- Wiping off the chat logs of users from years back
- Discontinuing the Reddit Gold awards and coins system without offering any replacement
- And lastly, the issue we are addressing – charging third-party developers, leading popular apps to shut down
Reddit Apps That Will Continue to Work Beyond June 30, 2023, Without Being Patched
Here are the best secondary application offers to open Reddit links with ease and precision. So, make your choice mindfully on your respective devices.
Top-5 Third-Party Reddit Apps for Android Devices
Here are the best 3rd party Reddit app options for Android devices, along with their respective traits:
- Infinity For Reddit———————–Best Overall
- Boost for Reddit————————–Best Reddit Clone
- Sync for Reddit—————————-Best Performance
- Relay For Reddit————————–Best User Interface
- Now for Reddit—————————-Best Lightweight
Top-5 Third-Party Reddit Apps for iOS Devices
Here are the safe and reliable third-party Reddit app options for iOS devices along with their respective traits:
- Narwhal—————————–Best Minimal and Clean
- Reno for Reddit———————Best Comfortable User Interface
- Readder——————————Best Lightweight
- Comet———————————Best Design
- MultiTab for Reddit—————-Best Multitasker
- Always ask for a confirmation note from the app developer about the paid version of the app and whether it complies with the incremental Reddit API costs
- Avoid purchasing the premium version in the first instance, presuming that the app will work immensely fine
Frequently Asked Questions
Let’s address a few intriguing queries from users related to Reddit and its 3rd party apps.
Why can’t I submit posts on Apollo for Reddit on iPhone?
You must be using the free version of Apollo; to submit posts, you need to use the paid version.
Can I use Reddit on Mac?
Yes, you can use the desktop app of Reddit for Mac.
Is Apollo Reddit Android available?
Unfortunately, Apollo for Reddit is not available on Android devices.
Does the default Reddit app contain ads?
Yes, the official/default Reddit app is ad-supported. However, if you want to get rid of this annoyance, you can purchase the premium version.
Is it possible to use Old Reddit on my web browser?
Yes, you can use Old Reddit on your web browser without any issues.
Can I use the Reddit app for Windows?
Yes, you can use Reddit for Windows 10/11. It has a similar layout to the mobile app, allowing you to explore anything from video games to TV series, home-buying services, and general sports.
How can I get the Reddit Lite app?
You cannot get the Reddit lite app because Reddit does not have a lite app for smartphones.
Hopefully, this article will be immensely beneficial for learning how to open Reddit links in third-party apps. We have provided useful information related to 3rd party Reddit applications to offer comprehensive knowledge. Users are flocking to non-proprietary apps to overcome customization limitations and improve performance. TECHBYTEX offers relevant knowledge to engage social media users on Reddit using external links.
However, the tiff between the developers of secondary applications and Reddit communities has not yet been resolved. So, for now, enjoy the free official Reddit app on your Android and iPhone.