Have you gone through anxiety about experiencing a printer error 0x00000709 on Windows 11/10? If yes, then you are aware of the twitching error message, “Operation could not be completed”. The specific error is triggered when you are intended to set your default device convoyed by a message. There can be multiple drives behind the operation could not be completed error, and the most common causes are:
- Corrupt registry entries
- Corrupt drivers
- Auto-manage the default printer
Here are some handy fixes to resolve an error 0x00000709 while setting up your Printer on Windows 11/10.
- Un-install the recently installed cumulative update
- Run the printer troubleshooter
- Update printer drivers
- Modify the PointAndPrint registry
- Perform a hard resetting of your Printer
- Halt Windows 10 from auto-managing the Printer
Also check: How To Fix Windows Installer Package Error
How To Fix Error 0x00000709 On Windows 11/10 While Connecting To A Printer?
The very first fix you need to consider to mend the printer error 0x00000709 is to try Printer Troubleshooter. However, if it does not work, you can try altering its default settings and updating printer drivers. In case, any of the recommended methods to get rid of the frustration do not work, you should modify the registry keys. The possibilities are higher that there might be certain entries that became obsolete. Anyways, whatever the situation is, you can perform one by one each fix to solve this issue.
Here are a few potent workarounds to Fix Error 0x00000709 On Windows 11/10.
Method#1: Uninstall Recently installed Cumulative update
Several users have reported the query they are facing since they installed the Security patch in October 2021. That’s why Microsoft brought a resolution to resolve the fiasco with a non-security update KB5007262 on Windows 11 and KB5007253 on Windows 10. It is pertinent to note, that if you are facing error 0x00000709 lately, then the above-mentioned security patches won’t do anything well. Instead, you need to revert to the previous Windows 11/10 Build version.
Here’s how to disregard recent cumulative updates from your computer to roll back the entire scenario to get rid of the blip
- Press Win + I to launch the Settings window
- Go to Update & Security > Windows Update next
- Move to the right pane, and click the “View update history” option
Uninstall Recently installed Cumulative update
- View Update history on Settings
- Locate the option of “Uninstall updates”
- Click on it
- You will be redirected to the Installed updates on Control Panel
- Click “Uninstall a program” on the left pane
- Take a look at the list of all recent patch updates appearing on the right side
- Scroll and locate “KB5006670”
- Right-click on it
- Hit the option – Uninstall
- Hit YES on the warning message
- After hitting yes, your device will switch to the reboot mode
- The chosen update will be removed during the rebooting stage
- Wait for a few seconds to let your device remove the cumulative update successfully
- Once the cumulative update is removed, restart your PC again
Now, check if the disturbing printer error is gone or still there.
Method#2: Remove a Windows update via CMD
You can also uninstall a cumulative update by using the Command Prompt. It is an easy yet effective approach to solve the printer error 0x00000709 On Windows 11/10. Though, you need to launch this tool as an administrator to bring system-level changes to meet the purpose.
Here is the process to remove a Windows update via CMD.
- Use Win + X and choose Windows Terminal (Admin)
- Press Ctrl + Shift + 2 to enter the CMD screen on Windows 11
- Copy/paste the below command and press Enter –
wusa /uninstall /kb:5006670
- Command Prompt immediately will start taking the required action and start downgrading your device to a previous Build version
- Wait for a few seconds and let this downgrading be finished to see if the problem is solved or not
Bear in mind, you need to replace 5006670 with the actual number of Cumulative Update, after which you have started receiving an error code 0x00000709.
Method#3: Run Printer Troubleshooter
Here is the process the user can use to run a printer troubleshooter to fix the printer error code 0x00000709 on Windows 11/10.
- Press Win + R to launch the Run dialog box
- Type the following code in the search box –
msdt.exe /id PrinterDiagnostic
- Press the Enter key
- Click on the Next button on the following page
Hopefully, once the troubleshooter is over, you will overawe the Printer error in a jiffy.
Method#4: Disable Allow Windows to manage default printer
To resolve the 0x00000709 printer error, you need to disable the printer’s auto-manage option by opening the local settings on your PC.
Here’s how you can perform this task.
- Launch Settings using the Win + I key combinations
- Select Devices thereafter Printers & Scanners
- Head to the right pane and unmark the checkbox against “Let Windows manage my default printer
- Close all running windows
- Restart your PC to save the changes
Method#5: Configure the PointAndPrint registry
If you did not succeed to get over the issue, the cause of concern might be the registry entry PointAndPrint. You may configure the entry by routing to the Command Prompt as admin.
Here’s how you may alter this key on the registry.
- Open CMD as an administrator
- When the Windows console opens up, copy/paste the following –
reg add “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers\PointAndPrint” /v RestrictDriverInstallationToAdministrators/ t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
- Press Enter
- Now see if this command runs efficaciously
- If it runs successfully
- Restart your PC
After going through the process, the printer error 0x00000709 should be gone from the next login.
Method#6: Editing in Registry File
You can edit the registry file to solve the said printer error.
Here is the process to do it.
- Click on the Start button and type “Regedit” from your keyboard
- Select the Registry Editor application from the best match
- Wait till UAC prompts on the screen
- Click on the Yes button to give your permission
- In the Registry Editor window, navigate to the path
- Move to the right pane and double-click on the Device option
- In the popup menu, give the name of the printer inside the Value Data field
- Clicking on the OK button
- If you see a new error saying “Cannot edit Device: Error writing the value’s new contents”, you need to set the permission of the key
- Move to the left pane and right-click on the Windows folder
- Select Permission on the context menu
- Head to the Group or user names section
- Select Restricted
- Go to the Permissions for Restricted section and mark the checkbox next to the Full Control and Read option
- In the last, click on Apply and then OK
- You will see a UserSelectDefault option in the right pane
- Right-click on this option
- Rename it as the printer name
Now reboot your computer and observe whether it does work or not.
Method#7: Update the Printer Drivers
In most cases, obsolete drivers are the root cause of multiple errors. Chances are present that Error 0x00000709 on Windows 10 PC is because of outdated printer drivers.
To avoid the inconvenience, you should update all the Print drivers using the below steps.
- Right-click on the Win Icon
- Select Device Manager
- On the following screen, expand the arrow next to the “Universal Serial Bus Controllers”
- Right-click on the “USB composite device”
- Tap Update driver
Method #8: Fix using the Advanced System Repair Tool
It has been seen that the printer error 0x00000709 mostly occurs due to:
- Outdated drivers
- Pending updates
- Missing system files such as dll files, exe files, etc,
- Glitches in registry files etc
The use of the Advanced System Repair Tool is good to remove printer errors especially, 0x00000709 Errors. Here is the complete process, you need to consider.
- Download Outbyte PC Repair Tool [File Size: 16.4 MB]
- SCAN your Windows PC
- Click the Fix button to Repair the Error
Method#9: Hard Resetting Of Your Printer Fix 0x00000709 Error
It is an effective method to avoid the problem of printer error Fix 0x00000709 Error on Windows 11/10. Hard resetting of your printer is done in the following manner.
To do so, follow these easy steps.
- Shut down your PC
- Unplug the power cord from your printer and wait for at least 2 minutes
- Make sure there should not any wired connection between your PC and printer as well
- After 2 minutes, re-plug the power cord and the connecting wires between your PC and printer
- If you are using a wireless network, make sure your printer is connected to the same network
- Launch Command Prompt as administrator next, and run these codes –
- net stop spooler
- del %systemroot%\System32\spool\printers* /Q
- net start spooler
- Restart the Print Spooler service
- The second command runs to erase any cache files or remove any lineup files on your device
- After clearing Printer Spooler, restart your PC again from the next login
Hopefully, the problem is resolved now.
This article is aimfully written to address the printer error 0x00000709 on Windows 11, and 10 to get rid of the frustration. Techbytex has listed above several tested methods, that will surely help you in fixing printer errors.