Yes, and it is a crucial shift indeed. The update is calling out to all the Minecraft enthusiasts out there! And do you know what is new for Minecraft enthusiasts? Then, brace yourselves for a momentous shift on the gaming front. If you’ve been a zealous gamer for the past six years, you could play the game without a Microsoft account. But hold your horses because things are about to be shaken up. According to the official Minecraft blog, you will now need a Microsoft account to play the game. So, if you’re one of the lucky ones who own the original version of the game and you don’t switch to a Microsoft account, you’ll be out of the loop.
In other words, the legacy style of account, aka Mojang account, won’t cut it anymore. So, get your tools ready to create a Microsoft account to keep exploring Minecraft! Before being able to launch Minecraft, if you attempt to log in to the Minecraft Launcher with your Mojang account, you will be asked to transfer it to a Microsoft account.
How to Migrate Your Mojang Account to Microsoft?
If you’re a former Minecraft player returning with a Mojang account, migrate to Microsoft account to play Minecraft. To do this:
- Open up the Minecraft Launcher
- Log in with your Mojang account
- Click the big green “Move My Account” button
- Follow the instructions on-screen
Creating a Microsoft Account for Minecraft: Your Options
To create a Microsoft account for playing Minecraft, when prompted for an email address, you have two options:
- Input a new email to make a new Microsoft account
- Choose “Use another account” to select an existing one
New Changes and Limitations
Since its launch on consoles in 2011, Minecraft has existed in two distinct versions with separate development processes.
- The original Minecraft: Java Edition utilized Mojang accounts
- Windows store version, Minecraft: Bedrock Edition, used Microsoft accounts
In the latest update, Minecraft has merged the accounts for both Java and Bedrock Editions, but crossplay between them is still not supported. As a result, players will not be able to play with their friends who are using a different version of the game. It is pertinent to note the newly merged Minecraft accounts will include two-factor authentication and safety features that were previously exclusive to the ‘Bedrock Edition’ of the game.
Upgrade Your Minecraft Account With New Safety Features
Mojang has announced:
- Players traveling from Mojang accounts will not lose any data
- Users can now enjoy new safety features, including
- Parental controls
- Chat blocking
- Invitation blocking
- New merged accounts now come equipped with two-factor authentication (2FA), offering players an added protection
- Players will receive a step-by-step guide via email, and a notification will appear on their profile page when they’re eligible to create a new Microsoft account for Minecraft
- Upgrade to the new account for added fun, protection, and peace of mind. Don’t wait; get it now!
Minecraft Accounts Merge: What You Need to Know
Here are some important details regarding Minecraft Account Merge you need to know:
- Mojang assures players that their in-game usernames won’t be affected by the account migration, but if another user has the same username as your Gamertag, you may have to add a suffix or choose a new one to log in with
- Adherence to safety guidelines is mandatory for all usernames, which may result in some players having to change their names
- Two-factor authentication and safety features have been requested by players for years but have only now been implemented with the account migration to Microsoft accounts
- The reason behind the delay in adding these features is unclear, but it’s possible that Microsoft had a hand in it streamlining management before the next-gen console launch
- Despite the hassle of migrating to a Microsoft account, numerous players are expected to do so to keep playing one of the most popular games worldwide
Looking to start playing Minecraft but not sure if you need a Microsoft account to do so? This quick guide has hopefully answered your questions and clarified any confusion. Now that you’re all set to dive into the game, why not maximize your experience with our recommendations for the best Minecraft seeds, shaders, and texture packs? With these tools, you’ll be able to explore a virtually endless world and make it look as stunning as possible.